Samsung has now started updating the octa-core Exynos variant of the Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500) to android 4.4.2, Russia is the first country to get it. The update is dubbed as I9500XXUFNB3 and is available through both OTA (over the air) and Samsung’s desktop assistance software know as Kies. What you get from this update isn’t going to make your Galaxy S4 the “Next big thing”, but it will perform better in terms of speed and stability, there are minor UI changes coming along too. Have a look at all the features the Android 4.4.2 update brings in the list below.
Changes & Improvements in Android 4.4.2 update for the Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500)
- Android 4.4.2
- Album art are displayed on Lock Screen while playing Music.
- Camera shortcut is displayed on lock screen.
- Upgraded Emoji icon in Keyboard.
- Location service are integrated and more detailed by new Location menu.
- Default SMS app & launcher can be assigned via Settings.
- White Icons in the Notification Bar.
- Wireless mobile printing options via Samsung +HP printers.
- Performance Tweaks.
- Android 4.4 Google Apps support (Google Drive & Google Photos).
The update is currently available only in Russia, but it shall make it’s way to more countries soon, once available you may use the OTA or Samsung Kies to update you device to latest Android version intended for your region/country. For the more eager ones, you may download the update from the link below and flash it update via ODIN manually (Refer to the guide if you have any queries)
OTA : To download and install the firmware via OTA, go to Settings > More > About Device > Software update > Update.
KIES : To update your Galaxy S4 via Samsung Kies you need to connect your device via USB cable and then open the Kies application (Will require a PC or Laptop). The update notification will pop-up by itself if your Kies has been updated to the latest version (if not you will have to update Kies first). The software shall then give you a complete guide on updating and backing up your device.