The update is rolling out to users of Samsung ATIV S (Windows Phone 8 flagship from Samsung) and brings the OS version up to 8.0.10517.150. As we know Windows Phone 8 was never Samsung’s game so updating the ATIV S in a timely manner is just an effort to earn some goodwill from Samsung. The update will be reaching more and more users day by day so be patient if you haven’t been notified by it yet, though you can be sure that the wait for GDR3 update is almost at an end. The GDR3 update brings the following changes and features.
1. Driving mode.
2. Option to close apps from the multitasking/recent apps screen.
3. Ability to use Wi-Fi to set up a new device.
4. Lock the orientation of the screen to landscape or portrait.
5. Custom ringtones for more items like IMs, personalized call/text ringtones based upon contacts.
6. Bluetooth internet sharing.
The GDR3 update also adds support for 1080p displays and faster processors such as the Snapdragon 800. These features are not associated with the software update though, you will need to buy a new Windows Phone 8 and Nokia Lumia 1520 is the only one that offers those till date.